Yes I am trying to collect the file (the result will only produce 1 match)
And I need that into a variable that can be used for the processing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wagner, David --- Senior Programmer Analyst --- WGO
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:19 PM
To: Curt Shaffer; Timothy Johnson; beginners@perl.org
Subject: RE: regular expression in a variable

Curt Shaffer wrote:
> That appears to work! The part I am stuck on is how to I take that
> value (which would now be $file in your example) and put it into a
> variable that I can use through the rest of the script. When I then
> try to use $file outside of that routine, it is no longer the same
> value.
>
> I really appreciate your help!

        So are you trying to collect all the files up front and then go
through the processing? You already have the test in the loop and could just
write a subroutine and pass it $file and do all your work there.

        If you want to hold on to those fiels which match your criteria,
then use another array to capture as in
        @matchedfiles = grep( /*.test.*/, @files );

        Either way, you have the data in place or the other.

Wags ;)

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.