JupiterHost.Net am Mittwoch, 8. März 2006 00.29:
> >> - "\(" instead of "[(]": more readable
>
> not according to "best practices

Hi JupiterHost.Net

I think there are more than one "best practices", although not several books
carrying this title. I can't - and don't want to - diskuss based on
"According to XYZ" (missing arguments), sorry.

Readability is good. Performance, as John W. Krahn added, is also good. In
that case, I don't care about XYZ.

> >> - no /m modifier       : unnecessary without ^/$-anchors
>
> Still a good habit to get into according to 'best practices' (and to get
> used

Getting used using unused usefullness is useless in my opinion ;-)

> to what it does to  \A \z and ^ $

Which is (in my opinion) better to achieve by using it when appropriate and by
rtfm.

When everybody followed the advice "do $a to get used at it", there wouldn't
be any perl one liner any more ;-)

> >> - /s                   : may be appropriate for your html source text
>
> It only really affects making it easier to read by including spaces, any
> spaces to match would need put in your regex. So its appropraite for any
> regex that space will make clearer to understand and maintain :)

I suspect you don't talk about the /s modifier here...

> Sorry, I'm a huge fan of "Best Practices"

Yes, obviously, seen in another post already.

> I call it "the book that got
> me my free mini convertable and got me a substantial promotion".

Sorry, too much for my english capabilities...

> but do what you like :)

Thanks - you too :-)

[...]

Hans