Timothy Johnson wrote:
We run into one of these "How do I do this in a one-liner?" questions
pretty frequently, and I for one have to ask, what exactly makes the
one-liner so compelling, especially when you are using it for something
that will be run repeatedly?

Because you can use them in aliases:

  alias pcalc='perl -ple '\''BEGIN{use Data::Dumper}$_=eval'\'''

See `man alias` for details.

--

Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
   --- Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them,
we learn by doing them."
  Aristotle

"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that
will always be useful and which will never grow dim or doubtful."
  Mark Twain

"Believe in the Divine, but paddle away from the rocks."
  Hindu Proverb

* A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/