On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:27:28AM -0500, Jay Savage wrote:
> On 3/20/06, stu meacham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > perl -i -p -e 's/^(\d{2}\t\d{2}\t\d{2})/g'  This was the 1st thing that I
> > > tried; it doesn't work.  It was initially easy but different things kept
> > > appearing that forced me to use > 1
> > statements on the command line.  Negating what I want seems like it ought
> > to be simple.
>
> 2) You've anchored your patttern at the beginning of the string. This
> makes /g a no-op; you're pattern can't possibly match more than once,
> because '^' can only appear once.

I think that was in large part my fault.  I sent an email with a
proposed solution while I was half-asleep, and ended up making two
errors:

1.  I accidentally sent it to the individual rather than the list.

2.  I screwed up the regex pretty badly.

If I'd been fully conscious and thinking clearly, what I would have sent
would have been something like this:

    $foo !~ s/\d{2}\t\d{2}\t\d{2}//g

(where $foo is what you want to modify)

I just saw the initial regex example and thought "negation", then
misused the carat.  Mea culpa, Jay.  I didn't mean to lead you astray.

"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas McCauley