Hi,

each file name begins with xtst of which I've near 18 of these small files
(for example, xtst033006, xtst040106, xtst022406 etc. etc.)

these text files may contain code snippet and/or help, howto info

within the first 6 lines of each of these files there is a keyword line that
begins with #: such as for example, the next line

#: keywords are here ie perl map sort hash etc.

I need to grep or read each file for that one line (the keyword line) which is
to be the (hash's) value whilst the file's file name is to be the key.

The idea being to have ability to, from the full group of files,  locate
file(s) according to keyword entered. (the mechanics of this might liken to
that of some sort of a pod grepper)

Can Perl's grep do so directly from a file or must I use a filehandle first
and then read in the first 6 lines (find the line that starts with #:)

I got the keys.  Howto get each keyword line, the corresponding value also
into the hash?  Other relevant ideas/module(s)?

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my @files = (glob("xtst*"));

my %data;