On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 06:01:41AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> That's why I pointed it out.  One advantage of having looked at nearly every
> Unix version since V6 in 1977 is that I have a pretty good idea of just how
> un-universal "every Unix does $x" actually is. :)

It's always nice to have someone with experience to point out our
mis-assumptions.  At least, I think so.

> The "almost every Unix-like manpage known to man(1)" resource at
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi> can be quite enlightening as well.  Kudos
> to the freebsd project for providing that.

Thanks for the link.  I didn't have that one here.

> And yes, it looks like the linux-flavor unix versions added the notion of
> "SIGHUP for death of controlling process", but this is consistently absent for
> BSD-style kernels, which work consistent with V7 Unix (The One True Unix).  I
> wonder why Linus (et. al.) added that?

Probably because it's awfully convenient.

"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas McCauley