----Original Message-----
From: Dr.Ruud [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 9:19 AM
To: beginners@perl.org
Subject: Re: Extracting a bit of a scalar variable

Praveena Vittal schreef:

>  I am newbie to PERL.

ITYM: Perl.

> I think this is a very simple question to ask.

Well, let's see.

> Is there any way to print a particular bit of a digit after converting
> to binary form.

Why convert anything "to binary" first, if you can use
"$var & (1 << $bitpos)"?

$ echo 200
  | perl -nle 'printf "\n b  %5d\n--  -----\n", $_;
               for $b (0 .. 15)
               { printf "%2d  %5s\n",
                 $b, $_ & ($p = 1 << $b) ? $p : "" }'

snip
--
Affijn, Ruud

b    200
--  -----
0
1
2
3      8
4
5
6     64
7    128
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15

So what does this output tell me in English, that the decimal number 200
is composed of ???

Derek Bellner Smith
Unix Systems Engineer
Cardinal Health Dublin, Ohio
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Working together.  For life.(sm)

proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.

Dansk - Deutsch - Espanol - Francais - Italiano - Japanese - Nederlands - Norsk
- Portuguese - Svenska: www.cardinalhealth.com/legal/email