On 4/25/06, Jay Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> *Don't top post.*
>
> On 4/25/06, Mazhar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > It lists me out the operating system name thanks for the same. How can i
> go
> > about getting the different drives/volumes created on the same...
> >
> > Regards
> > Mazhar

> of OS
> > >

> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat testperl.pl && perl testperl.pl
> > > print "OS:$^O\n";
> > > OS:linux
> > > *$^O*
> > >
> > >  The name of the operating system under which this copy of Perl was
> built,
> > > as determined during the configuration process. The value is identical
> > > $Config{'osname'}.
> > > http://www.perl.com/doc/manual/html/pod/perlvar.html
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Paul
>
> File systems are system-specific. How you access them and find out
> information about them is an OS issue, not a perl issue. Most
> operating systems provide some version of the 'df' or 'du' system
> commands. Some don't. Most operating systems provide some version of
> and fstab file or /proc system. Some don't. If you don't knoe how to
> access filsystem information on your system, you need to find a good
> reference for your system. There are mailing lists devoted to most
> major OSes; there are also many good books. If you need information on
> a particular OS, let us know which one, and someone here can probably
> point you in the right direction.
>
> If you script needs to be portable, you'll need to lean about the
> commands and/or system calls for the differnt systems you intend to
> run the script on. Then insert some simple logic to do the right thing
> on a particular system, e.g.:
>
>     if ( $^O =~ /some_os/ ) {
>         # do something
>     } elsif ( $^O =~ /some_os/ ) {
>         # do something different
>     } elsif ( $^O =~ /some_other_os/ ) {
>         # do something completely different
>     }
>
> And so on for each OS. You could also check out Sys::Filesystem. but
> then you already knew about that, because you took 30 seconds to do a
> simple CPAN seach for 'filesystem' before you came to this list,
> right?
>
> HTH,
>
> -- jay
> This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
> private and confidential
>
> daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
> http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.dpguru.com  http://www.engatiki.org
>
> values of β will give rise to dom!

Thanks for the Response Jay. See currently if i have written ti script that
will check the type of operating system.

$Operate_sys=$^O;

if ($Operate="WIN32")
{
   Here i have to write the number of logical drives. Then the Total Space
of each drive and the Free Space..
}

if ($Operate="linux")
{
   Here i have to write the number of volumes. Then the Total Space of each
volume and the Free Space..
}

I think the above will give you the details of what i am trying to do so.

Thanks in Advance

regards
Mazhar