Mr. Shawn H. Corey wrote:

On Tue, 2006-25-04 at 16:41 -0500, JupiterHost.Net wrote:

althought technically any rm -rf (ven the shell itself) has a race condition since it could clean out directory, move on and then, someone adds a file between cleaning out the directory and its removal.

Sorry, there is no such race condition in UNIX but there might be in

no need to apologize :) I was simply referring to the infinitely minute possibility that rm -rf may possibly fail if someone starts doing stuff in the directory at juuuuust the right moment.

Its only a race condition in the sense that your command may inexplicably fail, but its not that big of a thing and the chances that the race would ever win, I mean the timing of it, the kernel smarts, etc are so slim you;d probably win the lottery several times before it happens :)

Anyway how rm -rf behaves on various OSs is slightly off topic so back to the topic:

File::Copy::Recursive at least returns undef on failure so you can try again if you like and report the error with $!, and its much more portable than system 'rm', '-rf';