On 4/27/06, Dr.Ruud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Jay Savage" schreef:
>
> >     for (0..#$arrayname) { print $array[$_] }
>
> The "#$" should be "$#" and you have two different array names there
> that I assume you meant equal.

Not enough coffee this morning, I guess, but the point was to
illustrate, not give working code. I think OP got it.

> Alternative 1:
>
>   print $ary[$_] for $[ .. $#ary;

I suppose it's an alternative, but why replace a constant with a
variable if you don't have to? The only reason to do that would be if
you messed with $[. Don't do that. Ever. Ever ever. At least not in
any situation that's likely to get discussed on a beginners' list.

> Alternative 2:
>
>   print for @ary;

That's not really an alternative, because $_ is populated with the
value of the current element of @ary. In the original example, it's
populated with an integer. cf:

    my @array = qw/a b c d e f/;

    print "$_\n" for 0..$#array;
    print "$_\n" for @array;

    print "index $_ is $array[$_]\n" for 0..$#array;
    print "index $_ is $array[$_]\n" for @array;

Have fun with that last one. Again, the point was to illustrate where
$#array might be useful, not to play golf.

HTH,

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.dpguru.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!