here is the prelim setup:

my $delimiter = ";;;";
my $teststring = "name;;;encryptedpassword;;;date";

my @userdetails = split($delimiter, $teststring);

here is the goal:

I would like to find a delimiter value that I can use to both create and read from a flat-file database where splitting on the $delimiter doesn't improperly split either the encryptedpassword value, or a reasonable date format.

Question:

What would a good value for $delimiter be?

Ive got an idea that my three semicolon approach is not going to stand up to all possible password encryption schemes, so I probably need something more bullet proof than this.

--
Rance Hall
System Administrator