On 5/12/06, Kenneth B. Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm exploring ways to parse an HL7 record/file to a PostgreSQL
database table. Actually, I think all I need to do is parse/transform
the HL7 record/file to delimited flat-file, and then I can use
PostgreSQL's copy command to load the data into a table. I would
appreciate any guidance here.

-Ken

Sure: cut the middleman. The Perl DBI has a perfectly good Postges
module. That leaves you with parsing the record. Personally, I'd start
with a cpan search to see if there are any HL7 modules. There probably
are. If not, you're going to need to give us a lot more to go on.  I'm
guessing most of thre readers of this list don't know what the
structure of an HL& file is, so give us some sample data to work with,
and the code you've tried so far. As I understand it, HL7 is an XML
spec, so you might look into some of the XML parsing modules, too.

HTH,

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.dpguru.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!