On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:59:46PM -0700, Lawrence Statton wrote:
> > Is there a way to modify @INC for the perl installation as a whole?
>
> Yes.  Recompile Perl setting the appropriate compile-time flags.  More
> importantly, though: Why?  It is just easier to install your modules
> in the standardly defined place for site-specific modules.

Why:  I find that often remote servers (such as webhosting account
servers) that are not under one's sole control lack modules the
programmer wants, and cannot have them added in the standard path for
@INC.  This can cause problems when someone wants to use something
written by someone else, or write something that makes use of a given
module.

That's probably why.  It's certainly the reason that comes to mind for
me.