sub _print_format1 {
    # output table 1, with 3 columns
    $^A = '';
    formline <<'FORMAT', @_;
@<<<<<<<<<<<<<< @>>>>>>>>>>>          @<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
FORMAT
    $^A;
    }

Wow. That's... impressive. Very "perl-foo-ish" :)
A simple and nice solution, kind-of bypassing the entire FORMAT and
write mechanism and going right to the internals. I like it :)

After looking at the docs again I also found this solution. The
problem is, I don't understand what it does :)

use FileHandle;
#...
sub _print_format2 {
        # output table 2, with 6 columns
        my($clock,$skew,$num_ffs,$max_lat,$min_lat,$max_tran) = @_;

        format_name OUT "NEWOUT";

        format NEWOUT =
@<<<<<<<<<<<< @>>>>>>>>>>>>>  @>>>>>>>>> @>>>>>>>>>>>>> @>>>>>>>>>>>>>
@>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
$clock,       $skew,          $num_ffs,  $max_lat,      $min_lat,      $max_tran
.
        write OUT;
}

What exactly does 'format_name OUT "NEWOUT";' *do*?

Well, I now have like 4 different working solutions to this problem.
Just have to choose... :)
Thanks,
--
Offer Kaye