Smith, Derek wrote:
> Doesn't the BEGIN and INIT constructs provide the same behavior?

No. From `perldoc perlrun`:

       -c   causes Perl to check the syntax of the program and then exit
without executing it.  Actually, it will execute "BEGIN", "CHECK", and
"use" blocks, because these are considered as occurring outside the
execution of your program.  "INIT" and "END" blocks, however, will be
skipped.

--
__END__

Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
   --- Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by
doing them."
  Aristotle

* A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/