Hey,

        Why not use signals to do this, for example:

use sigtrap qw(handler shutdown USR2);

sub shutdown {
        &logging("Shutdown requested by signal");
                $stop=1;
}

Michael

siegfried wrote:
I have some cron jobs running perl for many hours. Sometimes I would like to
control things dynamically or even shutdown the job if I notice it is not
running properly (based on the log files).

Below is what I am doing presently (inside a loop) and I feel there must be
a more elegant solution where I can label my values. Presently my file
"delay.txt" looks like
1 1

And I would prefer it look like

delay= 1;