Hello,

I am currently trying to understand the TripleDES code and found the
following line

  my @kvs = PPDES::des_set_key( pack( "H*", substr($passphrase, 16*$_,
16 )));

which apparently processes a 16 characters large block with the pack()
function. Now I would like to know what it exactly does with this
template configuration (H*). My initial assumption that it returns a
string containing the hex ascii values of the individual characters (eg:
"616263" for "abc") was wrong. Now I think it somehow assumes the passed
string to be a hex string and converts its values to an actual string.
But what happens if the passed string contains non-hex values like space
or even "G"?

Thanks,
Alexander