Hello all, my name is Tim and I have a website that I would like to get some
help with, after transferring the files from one Hosting Service to another,
some of the code doubled itself and when I went to remove it it really screwed
my site up, I am not a PERL Person, although I am learning to use it.  Can
someone help please.

jm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  On 8/30/06, Manne, Siva Chaitanya Prasad
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to connect to a database stored at linux
> machine from my Windows machine. But I am unable to connect to the
> mysql
> server.
>
> The error I am getting is
>
> "DBI connect('employee:xxx.xxx.xxx.xx','root',...) failed: Unknown MySQL
> server host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xx' (11001) at
> d:\pras\webshare\common\siva\mysql\mysql.pl line 2"
> --
> I have used the exact ip address of the machine instead of
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
> ,the database "employee" is created properly and mysql is running

"Unknown MySQL server host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xx' (11001)" indicates either
your script can't find that particular ip or it can't find the mysql
server on the proper port on that ip address (mysql/mysql-nt/whatever
isn't running, or isn't set to the default port; i don't recall if
having mysql's networking disabled only affects the user logins or the
actual connectivity overall).

try pinging the ip to see if one machine sees the other at all. if
that responds satisfactorily, look deeper into the mysql
configuration.

one easy way to troubleshoot is to use the mysql client on the windows
machine and try to connect as a remote user via an ip connection,
retrying as you make each change to the configuration; you'll be on a
single machine that way until you get it figured out.

i would also STRONGLY suggest getting/reading MySQL by Paul DuBois,
Third Edition - it'll cover every detail you could possibly want/need
to know.

one other possibility could be a firewall locking the port mysql is
using for network connections.