On 9/18/06, Ken Foskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a lot of files created by a (much too) complex script and the
user I am running with has a default group of 'staff' but I want all
files created to have <client>grp which we create to ensure that only
authorised people have access to a particular clients data.  I have a
command in Linux that does this but I am running on AIX  (I want it
portable so a pure perl method is better...)

MY solutions are chgrp on the file after creation.  Great initially but
then someone will forget for a new file and besides it adds a lot more
code and the complexity goes up.  I ended up adding the group to the
directory with g+s to force the group but there may be a time were we
use common directories and the file should be protect there as well.

I cannot google an answer because there are too many answers and I
cannot figure out how to fine tune my query.

I want to change the group files are created with and I cannot google an
answer because I get too many answers.

Thanks
Ken Foskey

I'm not sure I understand. It appears you don't want to ( or can't) change
the default group of your id so they are created with this group? You don't
want to use chown -R or chgrp -R on directories after the fact? What about
in the program before it finishes?

How exactly do you identify this is a file that should have this special
group? When the file is initiallly created I'm guessing you shouild set
correct ownership then. If you are trying to do it after  the fact then you
will need to find something unique about these files to search on then issue
the correct ownsership.
I think I'm missing a piece of this question. And why does your "command in
Linux" not work in AIX? Are you running current AIX?
  • chan... Ken Foskey
    • ... Jack Faley ( Who's going to take me serious without a laser pointer?)
    • ... Mumia W.