elite elite am Dienstag, 26. September 2006 20:16:
> Here are my error:

Instead of the line

  use warnings;

you can use

  use diagnostics;

which gives you a more verbose explanation of errors!

The documentation for both you can get by  (from the cmdline prompt):

  perldoc warnings;
  perldoc diagnostics;

(after "perldoc" you can put anything that you use after a

  use ...

line.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ perl hello.pl
> String found where operator expected at hello.pl line
> 15, near "print ""
>   (Might be a runaway multi-line "" string starting on
> line 11)
>         (Missing semicolon on previous line?)
> Backslash found where operator expected at hello.pl
> line 15, near "print "\"
>         (Do you need to predeclare print?)
> Backslash found where operator expected at hello.pl
> line 15, near "address\"
> String found where operator expected at hello.pl line
> 15, at end of line
>         (Missing semicolon on previous line?)
> syntax error at hello.pl line 15, near "print ""
> Global symbol "$address" requires explicit package

This error is a result of the

  use strict;

line in your program. But *don't* eliminate it from the script, it forces you
to declare all variables that you use. Most of the time, a variable is
declared with a "my " preceeding the variable at the point it is introduced
(mentioned the first time).

> name at hello.pl line 11.
> Global symbol "$name" requires explicit package name
> at hello.pl line 11.
> Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF
> at hello.pl line 15.

Sometimes the error *is* not at the line mentioned in the error message; it
tells you at which line perl has *detected* the error, this may be some or
even many lines below :-)

Go trough the error messages from top to bottom, and correct the errors from
top to bottom (not the other way round - generally).

> here my code.I not sure what i did wroung here.
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> my $street='Wright';
> print "$street\n";
> $street='Washington';
> print "$street\n";
> print "One major street in madison is Washington\n";

or, since you created a variable for the street:

  print "One major street in madison is '$street'\n";

(I'm not from there, but isn't there a Madison street in Washington? ;-)

> print  "enter your address"/n";
> my $address
>
> $name =<>;

The above lines are a bit messy, arne't they?
You ask for the address and save it in a variable which most people expect to
contain a name...

> print "\nPerl has received your address\n";

Give a feedback:

  print "\nPerl has received your address:\n$address";

:-)

Dani