On 9/27/06, Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:11:17 -0600
"Gerald Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am looking for: ab1    in line1
> and looking for: ab2     in line 2
>
> actually ab1 and ab2 immediately follow the last "/" (there are
> numerous "/" on the line (w/o quotes))
>
> These are not working.  can some explain what these say and what they
> should say (syntax) to return the results I'm looking for: if ab1/ab2
> are in the line, return true.
>
> /^[^\#]*ab1/,@lines
>
> /^[^\#]*ab2/,@lines

Is there more to this code somewhere? This says "match $_ against a
pattern, ignore the result and return @lines." I doubt that's what you
want. If you have warnings on, it should give you warnings like
"useless use of [something or other]" and "use of uninitialized value
in pattern match (m//) at..."

Did you intend a grep or something similar there? Something like

   my @hits = grep /^[^\#]*ab1/, @lines

might return a useful result.

As for the patterns themselves, '^' means "start looking at the
beginning of the string." '[^\#]*' means "look for zero or more
characters in the class of all characters that aren't '\' or '#'. And
'ab1' means exactly that.

Presumeably you want a match against '/ab1'

In which case you might just get by with /\/ab1/

But you may need to provide a few more specifications and example data

But that will match any ab1, not just the one after the last '/'

If '/ab1' will always be the end of the string, or at least the end of
a word, you could go for:

   /\ab1$/
     or
   /\ab1\s/

That makes assumptions that may not be valid, though. we'd need to see data.

Failing test data--or given unpredictable data--I'd go for something like:

  m{.*/ab1} && $' !~ m{/}
     or

Although I'm sure someone will have a more efficient, or at least more
elegant, approach.

HTH,

-- jay
This email and attachment(s): [  ] blogable; [ x ] ask first; [  ]
private and confidential

daggerquill [at] gmail [dot] com
http://www.tuaw.com  http://www.downloadsquad.com  http://www.engatiki.org

values of β will give rise to dom!