From: "Gerald Host" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'm trying to read a text file line-by-line.
>
>                     open IN, shift;
>                     my @lines=split("\n",<IN>);

Did you ever read the docs???

        my @lines=<IN>;

The <> operator returns the list of lines in the file if called in
the list context.

>                     foreach my $line (@lines) {
>                             print OUT "QQQ $line QQQ\n";
>                             }
>
> The problem is that it always gives me the entire file, not line by
> line. What did I do wrong?  Other things I've tried:
>
>                 open IN, shift;
>                 while (my $line =<IN>) {
>                             print OUT "QQQ $line QQQ\n";
>                             }

This one should work.

Are you sure you did not touch $/ beforehand? This is the variable
that specifies what's the line delimiter. If you undefine it you'll
get the whole file as the first and only line.

Jenda
===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery