siegfried wrote:
>>> I think the best I could hope for would be to write a perl script that
>>> generated a bat file and then I manually execute the bat file. I don't
>>> think there is anyway to automate the execution of the bat file.
>> I'm sure that there is; if you can't put it into its own bat file, you
>> could have Perl itself execute it via the system() command. Since new
>> processes (such as those run with system()) inherit the environment,
>
> Yeah: that is precisely the problem. The child inherits from the parent. Can
> I make the child manipulate the environment table in the parent? I don't
> think so. Please tell me I'm wrong.
>

>> it's easy to set up %ENV however you'd like.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> --Tom Phoenix
>> Stonehenge Perl Training
>
> Tom,
> Please elaborate. I need to have an interactive command shell with the
> symbols set up.
>
> Anytime I run a perl program that uses backquotes or system, those symbols
> that are defined by perl will only be good for duration of the perl program
> and as soon as perl exits, I'll have a command prompt with none of the new
> symbols defined -- correct?
>
> I believe this is true for all *nix and windows shells.
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

Siegfried, as far as I know a child cannot modify its parent. Tom is
smart then I am though, so he may know something I don't.

You can get the time and date to use in file or directory name in
Windows batch. http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html has some examples.

Of course Windows batch is an abysmal scripting language, so if you want
to do anything non-trival it is worth doing, or re-doing in Perl.

-- MattJ