Derek B. Smith am Samstag, 2. Dezember 2006 17:08:
> --- zentara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:31:11 -0800 (PST),
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > ("Derek B. Smith") wrote:
> > >I was hoping for socket data transfers to mimic an
> > >sftp/ftp get without having to deploy code to the
> > >clients and or deploying this module on the
> >
> > clients.
> >
> > Think about it, how could that work?  You need some
> > sort of code on the clients, whether it's your
> > custom
> > script, or existing server code.
> >
> > Do the clients run a web server? You could place
> > the files in a htaccess password protected
> > directory,
> > and get them thru https?
> >
> > There are many ways to go, http, ftp, ssh2, etc.
> >
> > You don't have to install the Net::EasyTCP module
> > on the clients. There is no xs component, it's pure
> > perl.
> > So you could actually include the EasyTCP code, as
> > a package right into your script.
> >
> > zentara

Hello Derek
(and I hope it's ok for you zentara when I answer [too])

> ok thanks 4 the advise, but I have thought about it.
> All the clients do not have the same access routes.
> For example, some have ssh turned on while others do
> not.

Is it possible that you mean sshd (ssh *server*)
by "ssh turned on"?

> Those that do not, have ftp and the majority of
> all the clients do not allow root login over ssh.

Do they, on the other side, have installed an ssh *client*?

> So
> now u see my dilemma... I have begun to use an scp
> script, but I knew there was a way to use sockets to
> xfer files so I thought I would learn something new
> while I was getting all the files together.

As far as I could follow this thread, you have to install something *anyway*
on some (or even all - Net::EasyTCP) client boxes.

> I dont understand > "there is no xs component"
> and I
> dont understand > "So you could actually include the
> EasyTCP code, as a package right into your script."

I think zentara meant that it's sufficient to 'copy over' perl script/modules
not involving compiling/installing/using software parts based on C.

Some perl modules implement their functionality in C. The glue between perl
and the C code is called 'XS' (hm, more or less at least). Have a look at
XML::LibXML for example, that uses the libxml2 library.

===

My advice to you is to present your requirements to the secureshell and/or a
security ML, and not yet thinking about which perl module to use.

Assume that a box does not allow remote logins (could be, according to your
descriptions). Now you want to bypass these restrictions only to transfer a
file? I doubt this being a good idea.

A more secure plan (in my eyes not belonging to a security guru) could be to
let the clients initiate the file transfer.
  You'd have to run an sshd server on your main box. There are several
possibilities to customize and secure ssh(d).

Referring to another answer to one of my posts: Did you consider permissions
of parent directories, the presence of a sniffer in your multifirewalled
network, and other worst case scenarios? Did you analyse the risks involved
throughly?

These are all important non-perl-related questions that have earnestly to
be taken into accound before anything else. Please somebody correct me if I'm
wrong.

Dani