also be aware that in previous versions of CUPS there was a native
ability to print directly to a file; per the cups users group it was
removed at some point because too many people were complaining about
how difficult/unintuitive it was (seems like if i could figure it out
at the time, anybody could, but oh well.  also seems rather anal and
bass-ackwards to remove a perfectly good function instead of improving
it, but again - oh well).  i discovered that when i needed to migrate
that particular program to a newer version of linux - and couldn't
because that functionality no longer existed and any help was
reluctant at best.  you might check to see if anyone on the CUPS side
knows if that functionality has been revived.