Chad Perrin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 06:59:42PM
-0800, Travis Thornhill wrote:

> Adriano Allora wrote: hi to all,
>
> (and a very good new year's eve). someone can tell me why this script
> doesn't accept the -h flag?:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> use Getopt::Std;
>
> getopt('h');
> my $opt_h;
> if($opt_h)
> {
> [code...]
> }
>
> You need to declare a hash then pass the hash to the getopt() function.
> This code is an example of something you can do with getopt().

Not necessarily. It can be done with scalars as easily as with hashes
and, in fact, I do it like that quite often.

Try this instead:

our $opt_h;
getopt('h);

That satisfies both the strict pragma and the desire to use a scalar
varaible for your command line option.

  That's interesting. What if I have multiple options and still want to use
scalars?
  Would I use multiple calls to getopt for each scalar, or could I pass them
all to a single call to getopt?

  - Travis.