I have tried both PDF::API2 and CAM::PDF and I must be misunderstanding how to
use these modules. Here is the way I attempted using CAM::PDF

Source portion:
…
use CAM::PDF;
…………

            $MyPDF = CAM::PDF->new($MyFileIn); # a PDF file which has text

            $MyPDFPgCnt = $MyPDF->numPages();

            my $contentTree = $MyPDF->getPageContentTree(1);
            $contentTree->render("CAM::PDF::Renderer::Text");

        I get a lot of blank lines and the characters I do get, look like:

             3 U L Q W ♥ ' D W H ↔ ♥ ¶ § ↕ § § ↕ § ‼ ‼ ↓

                                                           & K L O G ♥ $ F F R
X Q W V
                                7 L P H ↔ ♥ ¶ § ↔ ¶ ∟ 3 0
        I need to look at the text from page 1 of a couple of thousand pdf's
and do a regex on searching for the data.
        Before sending I tried a number of other things, but either died or
showed me data like the above.

        Any insight or simple script which will display the text would be
greatly appreciated.

     Thanks.

  Wags ;)
David R Wagner
Senior Programmer Analyst
FedEx Freight
1.408.323.4225x2224 TEL
1.408.323.4449           FAX
http://fedex.com/us

This message contains information that is confidential and proprietary to FedEx
Freight or its affiliates.  It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express  purpose(s) described therein.  Any other use is prohibited.