I  have been looking on the ffmpeg website and found the FFmpeg perl module.
I think it is a good option.
I presume the FFmpeg module gives me a faster interface than if I call the
ffmpeg with the system command?

Thanks for the fast responses
Herman

On 1/9/07, Mike Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 09/01/07, Herman Gerritsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This is my first post on any perl mailinglist.
> I have been learning perl lately using Oreilly's "Learning Perl 4th
edition"
> I am now going through "Intermediate perl".
>
> for my graduation I am trying to write a progam that will read data from
the
> serial port (/dev/ttyS*). This data is coming from four weight sensors
in a
> fource plate. In the mean time I want to make some video recording of
what
> happens on the force plate. With that data I will be able to link the
> movement of the center of gravity to whatever happens on the force
plate.

> I can already read the data from the serial port. But I dont understand
how
> to capture video (or some images) via an usb camera.
> I have been searching to CPAN and have the Device::USB module installed.
but
> haven't found any tutorial or information on how to get video from a
camera.
> I don't need many frames a second (somewhere between 3 to 5 frames a
second
> should suffice) so I think a webcam is already good enough for me.
>
> hopefully someone can direct me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks already
> Herman Gerritsen

Why not use a system command to soemthing like ffmpeg
eg: system("ffmpeg -vd /dev/<USB device> <output file>")