On 1/10/07, Beginner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am trying to parse a file and extract some names. The data has come
with some odd characters in, and these characters are sandwiched in
the middle of the string I am trying to extract.

You can use Perl to tell you what the odd characters are. I often use
an ASCII table and unpack:

   print unpack("H*", $data), "\n";

MIKE \A0 \A0\A0HOLLINGSHEAD/JIM REED

On some systems, character 0xA0 is the non-breaking space.

I am pretty sure this is a job for tr but I can't determine the
correct values to use.

It depends upon what you want to replace these characters with. Maybe
something like this?

   tr/\xA0\x20/\x20/s

Hope this helps!

--Tom Phoenix