Johnson, Reginald (GTI) wrote:

> From: John W. Krahn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> Johnson, Reginald (GTI) wrote:
>>>
>>>             foreach $bkline (@bkupArray) {
>>>                     my
>>> ($bkup_node_ora,$bkup_db,$bk_blank,$id,$type,$cap,$start,$filler,$filler2,$filler3,$filler4,$bk_end,$rest)=
>>>  split (/,/,$bkline);
>>>                     my ($bkup_node) = split(/_/,$bkup_node_ora);
>>>
>>> [ snip ]
>>
>> my @bkupArray;
>> while ( <LASTBKUPFILE> ) {
>>     # Only need to store three fields from
>> '/adsm/CRONJOBS/RMAN/lastbkup_temp'
>>     push @bkupArray, [ /^([^_]+)/, ( split /,/ )[ 1, 11 ] ];
>>     }
>>
>> [ snip]
>
> Can you interpet to my how the regular expression in the code works.
> push @bkupArray, [ /^([^_]+)/, ( split /,/ )[ 1, 11 ] ];
>
> I understand the slice getting 1 and 11th element but don't get how the
> regular expression works.

The regular expression says to match starting at the beginning of the line one
or more non-'_' characters and because of the list context the contents of the
capturing parentheses are returned and become the first element of the
anonymous array.

John
certain sorts of tools at low cost and in short order.       -- Larry Wall