On 2/28/07, Beginner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a list of files:

hash.buckets
page.index
page.wordlist
word.list
word.index
hash.file

They are part of a SQL/Apache/mod_perl installation and these are
some kind of indices for searches. I want to examine the contents if
possible.

Have you tried the unix commands file and od?

It's quite possible that these files were made by a perl hacker but I
am unsure. Do they look like something that may have been made by a
perl module?

I don't recognize these filenames, but maybe someone else does.
Guessing from the names, though, they look like files that could be
used as "some kind of indices for searches". Which is to say, if
you're worried about malicious intent, it either doesn't exist or has
been cleverly concealed. (Are any of them executable? If not, what's
the worry?)

Is this a job for pack/unpack?

Could be, especially if you know (or can determine) the file format.
Do you have any documentation on the program that created these files,
or one that reads them? If not, I wouldn't waste too much time on
these files; reverse engineering the index's hash function could take
weeks, or months. It would be faster to install a new index system
from scratch.

Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix
Stonehenge Perl Training