On 3/13/07, Rob Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Unless I'm in a different parallel universe this doesn't make sense at all!

What tests have you done Bill?

How is ^@ (a null or zero byte) equal to "\n"?

How is control-J two bytes? I thought it was pretty much defined as the
character consisting of the least-significant five bits of the value for
the letter 'J', which is ten.

Under my C, internal strings are terminated with a null byte character "\0"
or "\c@", and only garbage follows that null terminator.

Under VIM and using od -c  I see two bytes for the Control-J: \0 and \n

0000000    005000
0000002

0000000   \0  \n
0000002

In answer to your question, for example under VIM, the ^@ the other
poster is seeing is actually \n (which is what the OP wants) -- but I
am in my own Universe  =)

So, when I hit  ^V^J   VIM displays ^@

Cheers/Sx  =)
--