Hi,

I am trying to find a means of monitoring a directory for activity. I
would like a perl process to aware if a file has been dropped into a
specific folder and then take some action.

In the past I have used cron for this but I was thinking this isn't
the best choice because 1) You have to spawn a very frequently to try
to achieve real-time action 2) The high frequency spawning of a perl
script is quite expensive in terms of resources 3) There is the
potential for one process to collide with another.

One way would be to have a script that did while (1) and a sleep when
nothing was found but again this seems "primitive". Is this something
that a daemon module might help with? Does anyone have an idea that
might help?

TIA,
Dp.