On 4/6/07, Jeni Zundel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So, if I put a filehandle in the diamond, instead of empty diamond,
does that mean that the first would operate line by line and the
second would pull the whole file into memory?

No, both while loops read line by line.  The difference is where the
line gets stored.  In longer loops using a named variable is
preferable (due to conflicts on $_ usage).  It was probably overkill
for the loop in the example code, but I used it because I was already
writing a verbose program.