Dear all,

Question about the sum function; the file structure is as follows:

A|100
A|200
A|150
B|20
B|90
C|10
C|30
C|300

The result I want to obtain is to sum values in the second column (columnB) for each particular letter in the first column (ColumnA); e.g.:

A|450
B|100
C|330

I don't want to use hash structure because the input file is very large. Is there any simple way to do that step-by-step: to sum up values in columnB until the letter in columnA changes and print the result...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, Andrej

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

open FH1, "< test.txt" or die "Can't open file : $!";
while (<FH1>) {
   chomp;
   ($columnA,$columnB)=split /\|/;
   ... ???