On 5/7/07, Robert Hicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have one file that contains a log. I do a substr to get the
information out of that and push it into an array.

I have a second file that contain another log. I need to loop through
the items in the array and find them in this log. Once I find the line
that the id is on, I need the next line /^AMP-commit/ captured.

I am getting:

"Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at ./amp_parse.pl
line 39, <$AFILE> line 213622."
snip

It sounds like your substr is returning undef at some point in the
first file.  If this is not an error then try changing the loop to

while (defined(my $ifile_line = <$IFILE>)) {
   my $hits = substr($ifile_line, 0, 6);
   next unless defined $hits;
   push @id_hits, $hits;
}

Also, you should never use a straight string in a regex; it should
aways be quoted.

$line = shift @log until $line =~ /\Q$prime_id\E/;