I need to check for strings in a file. An example would be checking for a
username in /etc/passwd or /var/log/maillog. The string is in another file,
sometimes a single field on a line by itself, sometimes in a line with
other strings. Based on what I have seen online and what I have done in
other scripts I can :

1. slurp the file into a single string and then check for a match.

2. read the relevent field from the file into hash keys and check for a
match.

3. Loop through the file line by line and look for a match.

Generally there are 1 - 2,000 strings, and 2,000 to 1,500,000 lines per file.

I am wondering how these different methods may impact performance.

I hope I have been clear.

TIA.

--

Karyn Williams