What I can define so far:
  Win2K Pro SP4 fully patched.
  Dell Optiplex GX270, 3.0 GHz, 1GB RAM.
  ActivePerl 5.8.8.820 installed after uninstalling 5.8.0.806.
  Code snippet was sent earlier in this thread.

Attempting to set an alarm for 3 seconds then call sysread() on a serial
port within an eval, as per the recommended form. The eval will never
return without receiving a character on the port. SIGBRK does get caught
and terminates the script. I have not yet tried this on a socket.

--->>> Sorry, that should be SIGINT, from CTRL->BREAK!

I don't see anything that matches in the ActiveState bug tracker, but I
don't have an ASPN account needed to add bug reports. I am looking at
their community support forum. A search there on "alarm sysread" does
not produce any results. It looks like I need to create an account there
before I can post a message.

Thank you,

Bob McConnell

"If you notice anything funny, record the amount of funny."
 Milligan's law as reported by Bob Pease.