On 7/4/07, Chas Owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
snip
> What's the most efficient way of checking this? - one way is perhaps
> inifinite loop checking mmtime until it is stable for a certain amount
> of time?? I am not sure.
snip

Yep, that is about it.  I usually use size rather than mtime (mtime
checking can be broken by someone monkeying with the system time, it
happens).
snip

Oh, I forgot about signal files.  Sometimes (especially with remote
transfers) you can persuade people to send/write a second (very small)
file that contains meta data about the file being sent (md5sum, number
of records, etc).  The existence of the small file signals that the
large file has finished being written.