I did the installation without using CPAN and it's worked somehow.
there's lot of env variables I set up:
# setenv PATH \
    /usr/sfw/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
# setenv PATH \
    ${PATH}:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/sfw/bin:.
# setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
    /usr/sfw/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/sfw/lib

the XML::Parser was the only one that required the expat link. the
remaining were easy to install as per the README file.
I think CPAN looks for a lot of env variables that I am not aware of.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Vivek