--- Inventor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> While enthusiastically writing my new program, I was
> having so much
> fun coding and reading www.perl.com articles that I
> didn't notice a
> slow, creeping horror that was gradually building up
> on my machine.
> Luckily I was reading about Apache and the log files
> when I remembered
> that someone here advised me to check the error logs
> as standard
> practice.  As I paged through the file using the
> more command, I
> noticed the little 0% indicator never got bigger
> than 0% for some
> reason.  Suddenly realizing my peril i held the
> spacebar down and
> reams of text scrolled by but that 0% never went up!
>  A quick ls -l
> revealed that the error file had been slowly growing
> to as size of 2.2
> gigabytes during Apache's first week of running!  In
> my newbiness I
> did not realize that all those undeclared variables
> in a number
> crunching program were creating error messages from
> Hades that were
> eating up my little hard drive fast!  Fortunately
> the problem was
> caught in time and easily fixed.  It only took a few
> hours to delete
> the error file and clean up the code, and now the
> program runs much
> faster as well.  Whew!  I hope you got a chuckle out
> of that little
> adventure.  Now to my questions.

Glad to hear that you've resolved it.
When you put 'use strict' and 'use warnings' at the
begin of the script,and you run it before apache,you
would find most of the errors.

> I imagine I need some sort of authentication system,
> but the prospect
> of writing one seems daunting.  Are there any
> modules for doing that?
> I looked on CPAN and didn't find much of anything
> obvious.

Each user maintain a config file,surely Perl CGI can
handle this well.But rather than config files,using
database is maybe better choice?

> Should I make copies of the files with
> username.config.txt or
> something like that?

If there aren't people have the same name,it's
well.But if there's the possiblity there're two guys
have the same name,you may consider other ways like a
random string or auto_increment int ID.

> What is the best way to do the copying in Perl?

File::Copy can do that well.

Good luck.