I've just recently begun using BioPerl.  I've set up a local version
of Blast, and am writing a script to automate the whole process.
However, when using "$hit->strand()" to get the strand information
from one of my hits, it sometimes returns an invalid subsequence.
I've traced this back to tile_hsps() and the range() method.  Has
anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas on what it might be or how to
fix it?

This has more to do with the specific modules you are using and you
will probably be better served by asking this question on the BioPerl
mailing list* rather than the Perl Beginners mailing list.  However,
if you can post a small program that exhibits the problem I am sure
people here will be willing to help you track down the problem.