Not strictly a perl question, but on the off-chance someone else has
come across this problem...

I am trying to compile perl 5.8.8 on Intel Solaris 10 with the gcc
that comes with the base install.  When I run Configure Dcc=gcc and
select all the defaults, I get the following problem:

Checking your choice of C compiler and flags for coherency...
I've tried to compile and run the following simple program:

#include <stdio.h>
int main() { printf("Ok\n"); return(0); }

I used the command:

        gcc -o try -O -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wdeclaration-after-
statement try.c -lsocket -lnsl -ldb -ldl -lm -lc
         ./try

and I got the following output:

ld: fatal: library -ldb: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to try
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I can't compile the test program.
(The supplied flags or libraries might be incorrect.)

I've googled around but have yet to find what -ldb does or what it
looks for.  There doesn't seem to be a man gcc.  I'll carry on
looking, but if anyone knows and could speed up my search, I would be
grateful.

I have read README.solaris and have followed all the instructions
there including trying Configure -Dcc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/'.  This
doesn't make any difference.

Many thanks

Jon