On 8/16/07, Paul Lalli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 5:12 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chas Owens) wrote:
> > Basically
> > it all comes down to this: always use quotemeta unless the variable is
> > known to contain the string form of a regex.
>
> No.  It comes down to: "always use quotemeta unless the variable is
> known to contain the string form of a regexp, or known to not contain
> any meta characters."
>
> Paul Lalli

*** Warning silly rhetorical argument ahead ***

So the foo in /foo/ is not a regular expression because it contains no
meta-characters?  I don't think anyone would make that argument.  So
the fact that the string is "know to not contain any meta-characters"
doesn't change the fact that you know what is inside it and know that
it is a regular expression and therefore my original rule of thumb
should stand.

*** end silly rhetorical argument ***