"[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Those three things look like sets (unordered) to me not
lists
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (ordered). The natural datatype in Perl to represent a set
of strings
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is a hash with keys but no values. Unfortunately there's no
elegant
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]> way to initialise such a structure in a single step. Here's
one of the
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]> least inelegant ways.

Yes, that might be the more natural expression, but then you get distracted
with a "hash that has keys with irrelevant values" discussion that wasn't
germane to the topic at hand... which is "using references".

So I chose to implement those as lists, not hashes.

Maybe a future learning perl/intermediate perl sequence will be more explicit
about "representing sets as a hash", so I can use that there without having to
explain two things at once.  But I didn't have that technology here.