On Sep 9, 6:28 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff) wrote:
> This is a true beginner's question, so bear with me. I have an array of
> numbers. Is there a function to tell me which is larger (or smaller?) Also,
> how do I search with perldoc for a function when I don't know the name?

You have to work your way down from the table of contents and look at
functions by category.

Unfortunately there is no built-in max() or min() function in Perl and
if you were to search CPAN with appropriate keywords ("maximum" or
"minimum") that doesn't seem to find the right module very quickly
either.

The max() and min() functions are in the standard module List::Util.

Note: the packages in the distribution Scalar-List-Utils contain many
of the functions that you might expect could be builtin.