On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 15:50 +0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There is a report that is generated from a script as a plain text file. I
> need to take this output file as input for my script and join them and create
> a CSV file and mail to me daily. How can I create CSV file with out using
> modules.
>
> Taking a sample report ....
>
> Hostname          IP address              Physical Address.
> inxp1233           XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     Mac-address
> inxp1432           XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     Mac-address
> inxp1232           XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     Mac-address

A really simple solution is to substitute the spaces for comma:

$headings = <>;  # read existing headings and discard
print "Hostname,IP address,Physical address\n";
while( $details = <> ) {
    $details =~ s/\s+/,/;
    print $details;
}

> If I am joining this with a ',' and saving renaming the text file to CSV will
> help or is there any other way to do it?Also I need to bold the header in my
> CSV.

CSV is comma separated variable.  It is a text format and therefore
cannot be 'bold'.

--
Ken Foskey
FOSS developer