> To behave as follows.
>
>      1. print 64.
>      2. pause 3 seconds.
>      3. print 49.
>
> Instead the behavior is:
>
>      1. pause 3 seconds.
>      2. print 64.
>      3. print 49.
>
> Why is that, and how do I insert a pause in between these two print
> commands (as an example)?
>
> BTW, I did perldoc -f sleep.  If it explains this behavior, I didn't
> understand it.
snip

You didn't find anything in perldoc -f  sleep because the problem is
not with sleep.  The pause is there, but STDOUT is buffered by default
so you will not see the result of the first print until the buffer is
full, you print a \n, or the program exits.  Try this instead:

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    print 8*8, "\n";
    sleep 3;