On 26 Oct 2007 at 17:15, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Are you sure you want a .Net DLL? Looks to me like you need a COM
> > DLL instead. How do you try to register it? Via regsvr32? If yes
> > then you most definitely need a COM DLL. And need to look at
> > PerlCtrl, not PerlNET.
> >
> > Jenda
>
> I thought that Perl Ctrl was for active X controls.  I found and
> example that looks like what I need in the samples for Perl.NET that's
> why I went with it.

Well, the nomenclature is a bit confused due to Microsoft renaming
their stuff a few times. If by ActiveX controls you mean the things
included in web pages in place of Java applets then the answer is, no
it's not.

> I'm really not sure what I want.  I know that I would like to access
> my Perl package like a DLL library from Excel. ie make a call to the
> DLL from VBA.  The only way I know how to do this is to register the
> DLL so that I can reference it in my code.  Is there another way to do
> this?  I'm all ears.

How do you register it? What version of Excel? Unless it's a very
very new version (2007?) I do believe you do need a COM DLL and thus
PerlCtrl, not PerlNET. Could you show me a snippet of VBA that uses
such a registered object?

> If I can't do it that way, I was thinking about using the VS.net to
> compile the perl.  I know that this is technically possible but have
> no experience with it.

Well, it is (or at least was) possible to install something into
VS.net to be able to do that. That something was made by ActiveState
and included PerlNET.

Jenda

===== [EMAIL PROTECTED] === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery