> Hi,

Hello,

> so where does the chomp operator plays its role, can some one
> explain me here with a sample of code.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal

One place where chomp() comes in handy is when you're reading from a
file.
Usually a line read from a file will have a newline at the end.

The terminating new line may get in the way of your processing, here's a
contrived example:

my $foo = 'some text to append to line\n';
open my $TESTFILE, '<', '/some/test/file') or die;
while ( defined (my $line = <TESTFILE>) ) {

        # $line contains 'Some arbitrary text \n'
        print $line, $foo;
}

Without a 'chomp $line' the program will print:
Some arbitrary text
some text to append to line

Instead of:
Some arbitrary text some text to append to line

as was probably intended.

HTH

richf